Tuesday 27 November 2018

A sweater update

Next up a Greige sweater update.

When I last spoke of this sweater, I was feeling like the neckline was going to be a disaster.  Feeling that, I sort of stopped knitting on it for a few days.  I would take it out and look at it and stuff it back into the bag in disgust.  One morning I slapped myself upside the head and shook some sense into myself and I started knitting it to the point where I could try it on.  I had already knitted it to the underarm join, it just needed a few more rows knit to keep the fabric more stable before a try on.  And then I tried it on.

And...magic!



Honest magic.  It might look  little bit hinky and scrawny in the picture but the fit is really nice and the neckline?  Perfect.  I'm not sure what made it look so large and wide before the underarms, but it isn't.  I hold out big hope that this might end up being a very, very good sweater.

And just a little show of the detail.


The ribbing detail is on the shoulder straps and down the sleeves as well as this narrower strip down the front.  I am doing the same narrower band of ribbing down the side  'seams' at the underarms and I might even do it in the undersides of the sleeves.  It is exactly the right thing to combat any stockinette boredom and it gives the eye a strong vertical element to focus on.  

More and more as the fabric slowly grows, the green grey beige-ness of this yarn gets better and better.  Who knew I would be so happy with what it pretty much a non  colour though, now that I think of it, I have been really connecting to natural shades the last few years.  Rather than being  a natural colour of sheep, this colour is the colour of  shale and mud cores from deep down in the ground and is as natural a shade as any.  It's just a little unexpected.

No comments: