Thursday 4 October 2018

All the Things

I try to set up tasks for the day an usually end up defeating myself with unrealistic expectations of what I can actually accomplish in a day. Longer ago, maybe, but it is different now.  I dont have the same kind of focus and concentration I used to.  I used to perform extraordinary feats of getting things done.  I cannot do that anymore.  I suspect this is a natural part of aging.  That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

I gave myself a pretty fair list yesterday.  It was not accomplished but I got enough done that the rest of the list can happen today.  

I finished up the little sweater.
















I could  have done it smaller across the shoulders but you have to get it over her head and a six year old has to be able to take it on and off with ease.  Larger is good.  All in all, for a funky little knit, it is ok.

Then I worked on her dress.  I started with her ball gown, because as a little girl, that is what I always wanted.  In grade 4, I took a piece of mom's remnants and invented a strapless dress that had no closures but stayed in place through the magic of a stretchy polyester fabric. I started from that same point, only to discover that with all the extra movement that Wonder Woman is capable of, her bosom is not able to hold a dress up securely.   


I added little straps and I'm pretty pleased with the end product.


I did add a bit of drama that I think Cassie will like, a big pleat of fabric to form a nice little flare at the back.


I took a more or less half circle and sewed it in place along the back seam.  Pretty low tech for high gain in the dress.  You must excuse puckers here and there.  The dress is not ironed.  I don't do that for doll clothes at this scale unless I must.

I also dyed Marcus' yarn so I can re-start his Chase sweater.  It looks close in colour but I m going to alternate anyway. 

And then I played with zippers.  I was not having a good time so I put it down and hit the hay, feeling that  rest was  good idea.  

This morning, having decided the gauge that I need for Cassie's purple sweater zipper, is too fussy to do using the Techknitter method, I am doing my own thing.


If the goal is to turn the zipper into a knittable object, I think this will work and it has been much easier to keep the gauge than using my little tool.  I am about to start sewing the zipper in to the sweater now.  We shall see if my plan works.

Once that is done, I have a couple of dolls clothes to sew and a wee purse to make. I may be down to the wire, but I think I can get all the things done.

No comments: