Wednesday 7 May 2008

Leaps of Faith

Learning to knit properly was a leap of faith for me. I had given up, decided that I was never going to be a knitter, that I crocheted, that I embroidered, that I did everything else reasonably well, that it was good enough if I did not knit.


One day a couple imaginary friends assumed I could. That they assumed I could, was a greater leap of faith in my abilities than I ever had, and since these imaginary friends are really bright, educated, funny people, there was no way I could have ever explained that I did not knit, that I considered myself incapable of it. If they believed,maybe it was time to look at knitting again.

So I did. And I do. Knit that is. A lot. More than I should.

I just never thought it would lead anywhere other than a comfort and a balm to a weary soul. I never imagined knitting was more than just yarn and needles. I never imagined that knitting would be my map. Sure it was the Yarn Harlot's map ('Stephanie Pearl McPhee Casts Off' ). It made perfect sense for her, but I was just a cubical monkey doing a cubical monkeys job, without a cubicle (plain desk - no walls). Where could knitting possibly take me?

Once I believed in my ability, funny things started happening. Other people started believing in me, and now I have a whole new world of possibilities opening up in front of me.

Today I get to walk through those doors to possibilities. Its a small opportunity at first, but I really like that. Like any new job, I am going into it believing I have something to contribute, and I am sure I will find more I can contribute as I go along. This is not a leap of faith on my part. I have nothing to lose by giving it a try, and gain in every way.

My new employer is taking a big leap of faith. They know me only a little, but they believed in me enough to make the offer. I just wanted to say thanks.