Tuesday 6 May 2008

Here I go Adventuring

As I said yesterday, much good knitting is happening here at the house of the Needles. So very much good. Even though I really am enjoying the process of the secret project, my fingers are itchy for something new. I had the little drawer open where that really nice Cotton Viscose is kept (not posting the photo of this yarn is very hard but I will spare you) , and just wished there were more hours in a day. Soon.


I did a lot of reading over the last few days, mostly about dying. And then I ended up playing with this.It turned into a very large skein of a really nice dusty rose. This time, because of the size of the skein, I ended up doing it on the stove, and I think that I am going to prefer this method of setting this kind of dye. The whole process was faster, and I was able to get the heat where I wanted it to be with much less fuss and bother. After heating, the dye was taken up into the yarn with much greater speed, so fast that it was hard to believe the process was really completed.
It kept the same variations on the skein that the first blue skein did, which is very pleasing to me. This closeup section is from near the top of photo one, where the greatest variation of colour is. Most of the rest of the skein is much more subtly varied, from a rich wine rose, right through to the softest of baby pinks. All in all, I am quite pleased.


I choose not to split this skein, and it really is a large amount of yarn. I plan to over dye a part of this with some golden orangey tones. How I will do this I'm not quite sure yet. there seem to be several methods to get there.


I also played with the blue skein, and over dyed it in the same tones to get just a little more depth of colour. After looking at it for a week or so, the blue was just a little too pale on some sections. The over dye went well, the colours staying in their lovely variegated tones, but the colour intensifying.


Dyeing is not the hard part in all of this. Waiting for it to cool is. Waiting for it to dry is. Waiting to fondle the lovely new thing is.

1 comment:

Knitting Alchemist said...

Very pretty. Can't wait to see and feel it in person.