Thursday 8 May 2008

Everything is good and interesting

I had a lovely day yesterday. Just right to start. I hope to have many many more. Being surrounded by yarn is comfort, just like being surrounded by books.

This is the weekend Mr. Needles goes off golfing with his buddies, and while I fully support his going, there is a teeny tiny part of me that takes great delight telling you that weather at their golfing location is going to suck. They will be traveling through snow, and the forecast is cold and rainy for the entire weekend. I'm working pretty hard to keep the smile from cracking my cheeks. 'Ain't I a stinka' as Bugs Bunny used to say.

This morning I am moving on to part 3 of the secret project. I hope to have a good part of it done by the time I go to sleep this evening. Without having to break for dinner making, I'll heat some soup, and keep on working. I have finally found my comfort level with this pattern. I'm sticking to using markers as I travel up repeats though. Messing up now would hurt.

I am a little surprised at the Drops Alpaca. None of the skeins have been the same length. I expected more uniformity in projects worked at the same gauge on the same needles, with the same yarn. On each of the two completed sets to be grafted, I will have to rip back rows to have matching pattern rows. It doesn't take a lot of feet of yarn to make up the rows, but I am just surprised. I thought that a commercial yarn would be closer. It will be interesting knowledge as I go forward to other things.

In other knitting news (or not), I have a coned yarn that is going to go into production soon. A while ago, I linked to the Argosy Shawl. This is the yarn I am going to make it in. I love this rich and dusty blue right to its tweedy little pink and white soul.

Like the Agatha Shawl yarn, this stuff has been yelling at me. Loudly. The Agatha, which is also up next, is going to be a more challenging pattern, so in a way this yarn and this pattern will be my respite from Agatha. The Argosy is also going to be the big project I drag along camping. The yarn is sturdier and is going to withstand the traveling better.

So there you have it the next projects already lined up and waiting to go. Agatha and Argosy.

There is another sweater that should be in the works, but I am still searching for the pattern. I think I know the general direction I am heading, I just have to dig through the books to find a basic pattern that is right for it. Then I have to do a little customising to do, to make it perfect.

3 large things on the go at once seems like a lot. This is a place I haven't been before, but each project has limits. One will be something with a deadline (the Agatha), one will be a traveling project (Argosy) and the last will be a just get it done before summer job.

I can do that right? Right? I may just have to talk myself into this. Or maybe that should be out of it.

1 comment:

Knitting Alchemist said...

The cone yarn is lovely. I like the pink touches too. Is cone yarn easy to work with? Do you have to wind it into center pull balls first?