Wednesday 28 August 2024

Just a plain day

Thinking about all the things I want to knit this fall and all the yarns I want to use, has made me oddly aware of all the good things I have on the needles already.  And all the things I plan to be wearing very shortly.

While my knitting remains monogamous to the Anyday Sweatshirt, my head is off and deep in the WIPs bin today.  

Particularly this.


It is the Scandinavian Star vest from Cheryl Oberle's Folk Vests.  This is a book that I have had since forever.  I knit Brian's Lichen Vest from it and there are several other's that are on my want to do it list.  

The thing is, it has limited sizes




and for a long time, my knitting skills weren't ready to be able to really wing it and make this really nice pattern, my way.  Now, my approach is to do a faux side seam for the motifs to end at.  I center my motifs at the front and back and just do what I have to do.  

Purists do not consider this the proper way to do it, but when purists start designing colourwork for this body I have, I will start thinking about changing my process.  I have the same approach to all patterns.  I need sweaters to fit me, and pattern designers have to knit for a more usual proportioned body.  I would face the same problems even if I were not oversized.  And so it goes.  

Earlier this morning I watched a quick video tutorial on helix knitting. I have long thought about trying this technique.  It is one of those 'round to it' projects that flit through my head.  I may cast on a pair of helix socks.  

Or I may continue the monogamous Anyday knitting.  My day is only just begun.  

No comments: