Tuesday 9 April 2024

Shopping the Stash

One of the other things I did on the weekend, besides starting a new hat, was to wind up some yarn for the next sweater project.

My next sweater project is an Anyday Sweatshirt by Ysolda Teague.  I really want to see how she is shaping the top of the sleeves for a better fit.  I am intrigued by the shoulders too.  It looks like a modified saddle and I want to see if they sit and stay sitting properly on me.  

I had meant to use my newest yarn from Midknit Cravings,  my marvelous London Fog.


That is exactly the right sort of yarn for a casual sweatshirt style garment.  When I ordered it, I ordered six skeins.  It is probably enough, but in my heart of hearts, I always fear that there isn't enough and I really want this sweater without compromises to conserve yarn. With a new pattern, I just need more assurance.  When I was digging in my yarns, I was keeping the sweatshirt in mind.   Did I have an alternate yarn that I had enough of?  Time to shop the stash.  

I came across some Madeletintosh Tosh Dk that I purchased a long time ago to make a sweater for Amy.  I knew instantly that it was not going to be the right colour for her.  There wasn't enough purple or garnet in it and there was a yellow casted green and it...well was just odd in a way that is hard to describe. 


I bought a different colour for her and this yarn became stash. It was a yarn without a plan.  That is rare in my stash. Even though my stash is huge, it all had some sort of plan when I  purchased it.  This yarn no longer had a plan.

It will make a perfect Anyday Sweatshirt.  It has that same casual vibe as I get from the Midknit Cravings yarn and I have seven skeins.


Let me give you a closer look.


As I wound it, I fell in love with it. The Midknit Cravings London Fog is a cooler end of the grey/greige scale and this the warmer end of greys.  That unusual yellow green cast is perfect.

Meanwhile back at the knitting, work continues on the Utkiek.  If I get another good inch today, I can call the body done.  All that will remain is the button band.  I do have plenty of the green Lett Lopi left and could add a few more inches, but I don't think I will need it.  To be sure of that, I will try it on before I cast off that last row.

No comments: