Thursday 25 April 2024

A math headache

The whole day yesterday was spent in the sewing room.  NOT SEWING.

But I was very engaged with the process of sewing.  I was drafting a skirt pattern.  From scratch.  A skirt can be made from a basic rectangle of fabric gathered and at its most simple, tied front and back at your waist with ties.  This was how most skirts for ordinary people were sewn for centuries.  Today elastic is a great closure solution for a skirt.  A casing at the waist makes it simple,  

The trouble with this sort of skirt is that there is a lot of fabric at the waist.  Whatever the bottom of your skirt is in width is bunched up, gathered or pleated at your waist.  It works but it is not optimal if your fabric is anything but the lightest.  Even a plain poplin or gingham is almost too thick for really good results.  I wanted something a bit different without quite so much weight.

Since I started knitting, I have become very daring about making comfortably fitting garments. I have no fear about trying to make a pattern for myself that fits how I want it to fit.  I have been watching some of the very talented people on youtube and I found something I could work with, a video on the math of skirt making by the very talented and wise Mariah Pattie. Yesterday was all about putting that math into practise.   

Because math, by the end of the day, I had three basic skirt patterns, and a worn out brain.  I couldn't put two thoughts together, so I retreated to my old standby, socks.

I knew I was getting close to the cuff.    


The fourth blue stripe was supposed to be the start of the ribbing.  Or not.  I just knit and knit.


I put it down and went to bed.  

Today the sun is shining bright and the air is fresh and crisp and everything is new.  I will sort out the socks today and am going to try out skirt pattern one with an old sheet to see if my pattern works. I am looking forward to the challenge.  

No comments: