Monday 11 March 2024

It's all Magic

I cannot explain the weekend to you.  After all that good knitting on Friday, Saturday and Sunday were even better. 

By Sunday morning, I was on the heel of sock two.


And very shortly, I had a finished pair. Gauge on foot two is a tiny bit tighter than on sock one.  It was all the racing! 


I put them on immediately.  That is my favourite part of socks:  putting them on.  Slipping on a new sock that fits your feet exactly. A handknitted sock bespoke, cups your heel, snuggles around your foot and ankle.  There is just nothing like it.  It is the closest thing to a hug from your grandchildren or your kids only for your feet.  All kinds of goodness in a small thing you made out of a kind of string.

This is what is left of the Kroy, so I can get at least another pair of socks out of it.  


I reached to put it away in the bag of various sock yarns I keep near the WIPs bin, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something. It was just a flash of blue and green 


but I knew that was the next good sock.  I didn't even have to dig for needles.


My little notions box is stuffed with needles for socks.  In the blink of an eye, this happened.



And so it goes.  

Socks have cast a spell on me again.  The thing is there was lots of other knitting.  There should have been knitting on ongoing sweaters but I did not touch Utkiek all weekend.  I didn't even touch Linger.  I did play a bit with this sweater,


which really is the perfect thing to knit in March, with it's brilliant yellow and summer greens and blues.  And yet, I did not knit on it.  

I took another path and grabbed a bag of yarn ready for knitting and sat down to play needle ploys and gauge games to get ready to start another project.    




Today I will be responsible and work on Utkiek.  I am getting excited for it the closer I get to finishing.  

I feel just as if I were a squill or grape hyacinth ready to burst out of the ground and pop open in the sunlight and show off my wares.  I am ready to flower and grow in the sunshine in warm corners where even now, the ground is starting to peek out.   Winter is almost done and everything is about to awaken and I just can't wait.  

No comments: