Monday 25 March 2024

Decisions

I had a marvelous weekend.  Everything but for the two spinning wheels are off to new homes and I had a really nice time chatting with the people who were making homes for my things.  I hope they enjoy and are inspired by it all.

I did knit on the Utikiek sweater.  About an inch of the last green seed stitch is done on the body.  It didn't thrill me somehow.  

What did thrill me was this scarf like thing.   


The front section of this sweater is complete.  I am measuring the length of it against a sweater of fingering weight/ sport weight yarn that I really enjoy wearing.  Yarn weight shouldn't matter but it felt like a good idea to use a sweater with similar draping qualities to determine the length.   

This is where it gets dicier.  I have started the back part.  


So far so good, but I would really like to knit the back longer than the front.  Ideally, the back piece will go to my back neckline.  I don't care for a low back of the neck on garments.  Problem is that there are 53 grams of yarn left from this skein of Silk Garden Sock yarn and I do not have another in the same colour.  It is almost enough and yet...

I have two options. Or three, I suppose.  One is to use an completely different colourway to knit the back part.  That was my original plan.  I can do this easily and have a skein set out. The thing is, I didn't think there would be so much left after completing the front.  I hate the idea of putting this lovely Noro into the leftovers bin.  It would make a great addition to any hat though or as colourwork in mittens.  

Two is to find a coordinating colour or colours from my vast selection of leftover yarns or from a different skein of Silk Garden sock, using those mid colours that ground any of Noro's blended brilliance.  I am going to dig for the other Silk Garden sock I have in my stash to see what would work.  

Three is stripes.  I could use a grey or black or one of the skeins of Silky Wool to get the length I need. I have several colours of Silky Wool that I could use as a colour extender here.  Slipping in a garter ridge of a plain colour evenly through the back would be a good alternative.

I don't know which of these ideas I will do yet, but since I am ready to go on the back, I have to decide.  

No comments: