Thursday 29 February 2024

So Mixed Up

Yesterday was all about spinning.

The plan is to have these things ready for sale this spring.  Which is not that far away, considering it is only 1 day to March.  I have bobbins to empty and that is what I spent the day doing.




First thing to do was to clear off the bobbins from my lace flyer.  These are smaller bobbins with a thicker core.  Spinning very fine thread was easy with this flyer.  I didn't realize it was so fine.  I have three bobbins but only two needed cleaning off.  

Next up was a bright, fun, bag of fibre.  



This is probably the last thing I spun and I was hoping for something softer suitable for hats or mitts.  It is my classic thick and thin, but that will be great for either project. I am not quite sure how this will be plied, but I am aiming for a two ply.

And lastly, two bobbins of some lovely Colour Adventure fibre. 



I love this stuff.  It's such a beautiful colour and see that little tail end?  It's a hint of what it can be.  

Only I have to ply it and I hate plying.  Spinning is so wonderfully contemplative and absorbing.  There is so much to watch and the fibre runs through my hands and slips forward in a magical way by the gentle tension from the wheel, twisting finely to turn itself into a single ply.  Spinning the fibre is absorbing.  

Plying is not.  It makes me feel out of control.  I know that it would be better if I practiced, but I don't enjoy it and kind of resent the time. Which is how I decided to let my spinning things go.  My quandary is clear.  I love the spinning but hate the finishing. 

I am waffling, dreaming of making these things into yarn to knit with.  The want is still there and it is much stronger than it has been in a good long while.  This wasn't supposed to happen.  Letting it go was supposed to make me feel good and right now, it isn't.   

There is no rush.  I will take my time to do what is right for me.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad you couldn't find someone who likes the finishing and doesn't like the spinning. Murphy's law unfortunately probably would only have you meet someone who would love to share it to do the finishing - after you had already sold it.

Only once did this not apply. A few years ago I was chatting with an old friend and told her it drove me nuts that the rubber gloves that I bought would only tear on my right hand and never on my left. I always had all of these left-handed rubber gloves in good condition. It seemed like such a waste. She said she knew someone who might want them. I thought she was joking. A few days later she called back and told me to bag them up. Someone did want them and I got their rights!! Who knew? F.