Saturday 27 January 2024

What did I do?

So I have all this new yarn.  What did I do?  I wound the new skein of Kelp, and then went back to my perch, firmly believing that I was going to knit and finish my Sun Dogs Variation sweater.  

As  I landed on my perch, some yarn fell out of the WIPs bin.  I picked it up and looked at it.  Before I knew what was happening, I  had cast on a hat and was several inches into the ribbing. 


By midafternoon, I had this.


I have no idea why I had this urgent need to knit a hat. I need a hat, of course, but there is no rush.  I am a couple weeks from needing to go out for long enough to require a hat.  I had plenty of time but just like a bird who flits here and there, I flitted to something new.  Perfectly okay. There are no rules to what I knit, are there?

This is Peace Fleece yarn that I bought at Camilla Valley Farms on my Epic Adventure and I always meant it to be a hat and mitts or a cowl and mitts or other variation on that theme.  Now that I have started working on this little project, I may as well keep on.


Mittens have begun.  

I am using the basic patterns from Ann Budd's A Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns.  I like these patterns and the books they are in because I am not looking for anything fancy from mitts or gloves.  I am looking for warmth and a proper fit and these have that.  And I can create strong clean colour changes, striping it to knit my favourite knitting number, the seven row stripes.    

I also wanted to show you a couple miniature pieces that I picked up as a small gift for myself.  I realized that the homeowner of my cabinet house had no closet.  I found a piece that I can turn into one for her.


The plan is to make a hanging section to one side.  I did think about just using pegs on the wall but the homeowner likes things to be a bit more formal.  She likes her things tidy.  

I also found this really sweet little globe.  


I have a globe just like it in my living room. It was a gift to Brian in another life, and echoed his interest in geology. I was so thrilled to see this tiny copy.  The tilt of the globe is a bit off and when it arrived, the globe was upside down, showing Antarctica at the northern position, but it was easily re-oriented. 

I am planning some major miniature work this winter and I hope to be able to show you that as well as knitting soon.  I just have to nag the person who is cutting the base for the new project to do it.  

No comments: