Monday 15 January 2024

Warmth in Bitter Cold

What was once my nemesis, is now a friend and I could not stop reaching for it to knit.


I am entranced by the ebb and flow of the pattern.  It is very easy to read in your knitting and now that the worry of the increases along the shoulders are done, simple to keep on track.  It is almost one of those patterns that is potato chippy and can be knit without a second thought.  Almost.  There have been a few times where my thoughts have wandered too far and I would have to tink back, but never more than a few stitches.  

It isn't the amount of progress I would have once made.  I reach for it and knit two rows.  I rest and reach for it again.  Still, my hands are doing ok and I am knitting through most of the day which is wonderful.  

We have had very cold weather the last few days and my usual Monday wash is going to have to be delayed a day or two. The power company and the line company have asked people to conserve as much as possible to prevent brownouts.  The furnaces of homes here are running almost continuously and that is a huge burden on the grid.  I was thinking of baking buns and making a roast but an oven is a large consumer of energy.  It will be a something in the slow cooker for supper I think.  

My day is free for knitting and letting my mind wander, a state which I do enjoy.  The day is bright and clear outside.  The sky is its winter glorious blue set off against the crisp white of frost covered trees and the light layer of snow on the ground, all that we have been given so far.  There are very few tracks out there, no dog walkers, no kids playing.  It is just too cold.  It has its own particular beauty.  

Me?  I am glad I have wool and a snug warm house to appreciate it in.  

No comments: