Thursday 11 May 2023

Knitting Work

See this container full of yarn?  I need to get three more bags of yarn into it.  It looks full so how do I intend to do it?


The yarn is almost all yarn from a long ago line closing windfall from Elann in Vancouver when Elann in Vancouver was still a thing. It was all yarn from a South African company called Elle. It was a sort of windfall of incredible pricing on an incredible mostly indigo dyed yarn for an unbelievably cheap price and that is why I have so much.  The yarn is mostly DK weight cottons, and is wound like this.


I mean to take the big cardboard spool from the center and make them into a slightly smaller ball like the one on the left. 

There were seven full bags that needed to be wound off and one partial bag to wind.


This is the pile of empty spools and this


is the mashed down remains of the plastic bags each ball was in plus labels and bags that each ten balls was in.  It's more plastic than I realized. It's about a third of the bin.

The winding took all morning, a good long morning.  I started at eight a.m. and worked till just after lunch but I did it all in one fell swoop.  And voila, it all fits.  


To be honest, I was worried because the visual space made by each new bag doesn't look that different from the original space used.  But it worked and I am pretty glad.

On the top you can see another lovely yellow yarn also from Elle, a cotton wool blend and beside it, a pure bamboo sourced rayon from the also now gone Naturally company.  Below these yarns, you can see the red cotton that I was trying to fit in beside the black cotton from the same line as the indgo and the red.   The black was previously wound off. The red was wound over the long non-knitting winter.

Now that that big job is done, I get to go do a wee bit of knitting preparation.  As I suspected, I did do a bit too much knitting the other day so I am taking it easy today.  I am planning and am getting everything together for a new yellow sweater requested by Marcus.  It has to be yellow **, with a big orange M on it.  It has meaning to him and who am I to wonder about it.  Orange and yellow it is. 

**No, not this yellow shown above.  I have some Berroco Vintage that will work great for Marcus.  He needs a good sturdy washable easy care yarn. The wool and cotton above is mine, all mine. 

Bwahahahaha.

No comments: