Tuesday 2 May 2023

Big news in my little worlds

I have not bothered posting over the last few days because there just was never very much to say.  I am very boring without my knitting.  (As opposed to the usual level of boring about the knitting, of course).  It doesn't mean I haven't been busy.  I have been very very busy.

I decided that before I was deep into knitting again, I wanted to get a good start on the bedding for my wee house bedroom.  I had a general plan and aided by a miniature quilt how to book that has been on my shelf for more than two decades, got a start.


This is the basic starting layout. and the plan was to do simple squares alternating with white fabric.  I left the smallest margins that I could leave and gave them all a good pressing.


None of the ends were perfect, but perfection was not a thing I worried about.  There was lots of fabric and I expected many ends.


The bits and ends pile.  The trimmings went into the waste bin. And then I did two sections of the cuts to make teeny squares, shook my head and realized that the whole point of this was to have fun and make it pretty.  It did not have to be any sort of quilt but what I would make for myself and I am not into extreme fussiness.  


Squares would have become really fussy really fast.  So no squares.  Good to go.


Then it was time to add the edging fabric, more white strips.


Then the edgings needed a good trim and I lay it on the bed to test and 


I am very pleased.  I think there will be some embroidery, wee flower vines in the colours of the wall paper, I think to accent the white.  I already have a scrap of flannelette ready to be the batting so the quilt sandwich is well under way.

Next up I made pillow cases for my little fold over flannel pillows.  They are just a simple white pocket with a closely zigzagged open edge.  That edge is a fair foundation for the wee crocheted edging I want to make for the cases.


Tomorrow, the plan is for some embroidery to see if it looks right and then if I am lucky, assembly of the quilt. It isn't perfect and I beg that quilters among you do not look to closely please.  For all that, I am pretty darn chuffed.

In even brighter news, I knit three rows on a sweater today (slowly and separated by a it of sewing) and with luck, there will be no pain, buzzing, or tiredness of the hands tonight.  

It is also my wee tiniest grandson's difficult day tomorrow.   Everett has a little bit of surgery tomorrow and though the problem isn't a giant problem, it still brings a lot of worry into the week.  He does have to be put under anesthesia for it so we worry.  I am keeping my heart steady and trusting in the doctors and the Stollery.

No comments: