Friday 28 April 2023

Putzing

I have spent the last few days putzing about and trying desperately to keep myself busy.  I decided to search through my many cases of DMC thread to see what colours would work for a blanket for my miniature house bedroom.  I printed off a cop of the wallpaper for the room and away I went.

These are the colours I settled on.  I was planning on using the perle cotton at the top, but I don't think it will work right with the thread colours.  I think the textures are just too different.  As you can see I have thread colour in large quantity to use instead. I am not sure if it will be a knit project or a crochet project.  I have done lots of thread crocheted doilies in my time, but part of me really wants to use these.

 These are a purchase from long ago, from Althea Crome's website.  I think.  They are a set of .75 mm and a set of 1 mm needles. Or .75 and .5.  I honestly don't recall but I they were purchased for knitting small things for the miniature house I always wanted to finish.  I have several .75 mm crochet hooks and one .65 hook so I have the choice to do either technique, or both.  A knit blanket.  Corcheted trim on the pillow cases.  Yes that is where I am going.

That left me with time and energy to dig through the fabric ends and pieces left after making things for small scale prints for a quilt.


 Sigh.  This is my leftover fabric ends.  Stuffed full, all of them.  Many pieces will work combined with other bits for colourblock tops and there is enough of quite a few pieces for the Nullabor Cami from Muna and Broad.  There are lots of little bits too, pieces that were from long ago projects and long ago clothes.


These are the bits that might work, though I really won't know if the scale is right till I lay it out and am ready to sew.  Mini things without specialty fabrics can be a challenge and the right scale is quite important to me.  Somewhere in there, some of those fabrics will be part of my mini house quilt.

I am glad I dug through the boxes.  I found my missing vinyl that I will need for some gifts down the road, and I found these small pieces of muslin.

 The bits of fabric were packing from something, but I don't remember what.  I thought I would keep them because you never know when you might.  They are utterly perfect for bags of flour and oatmeal for in my kitchen.  I will have to figure out what the print on the bags should be like.  I was debating using other fabric to mimic the prints flour companies sometimes used to use on flour and feed sacks starting in the mid 19th century and doing so up till the 1950's but these are not part of what I remember so I am going with what I know, a plain flour sack that would be used later for kitchen towels.

It was a good day.

And this weekend we are back to F1 racing so I am good to go.  I am going to try knitting on Monday but not before.  Wish me luck.

No comments: