Wednesday 12 April 2023

I sewed today, but my heart wasn't really in it.

I did work on the new dress pattern, the Hexham Dress from Muna and Broad today.   It's looking good fit wise, though the longer I work with it, the more I am not loving the fabric.  


I loved it till I saw it in real life.  When I ordered it, I thought the background was black, which would have been great, but this very dark garnet background isn't really a good colour for me.  It washes me out.  Still, there is a place for it to be used, and that is why it is getting used here.  It will be a wearable muslin for this pattern.  (It was extremely inexpensive fabric, much less than actual muslin would have cost so...) In this fabric, the dress will be more useful in fall and winter than for spring and summer wear.  It is a thicker knit, a heavier weight jersey, but under a neutral coloured sweater, it will be fine.  Pairing it with a sweater is a great way to wear colours that aren't really your best.  


The pattern is easy peasy.  It is a simple knit dress that relies on the drape of your fabric for fit.  I am particularly concerned about the fit on the skirt section, because I will use it as a basis for the skirt on my Ashton Top hack to make a dress with a sweet flowing skirt. The photo above is the neck band and dress body.


And this is the finished sleeve cap on sleeve one.  It went together very well.

So well, that I decided it was time to stop.  I am still having trouble with my hands and I do not want to put any stress on my cantankerous wrists.  No point in keeping on just to finish it, lest I make a mess too.  Taking it slowly has served me well.  I will pick it up tomorrow when I am fresh and ready for a new day.  

I will finish it tomorrow and then, depending on how it all goes, hope to cut out the next fabric.  

  



No comments: