Wednesday 29 March 2023

Work, work, work

Oops.  I ought to have taken a photo of how the blue and white china goes on the shelf.  Everything else went back on pretty quickly.  All the books had been dusted before. 


And after dinner today, Keith put the things back, more or less in place.  He did a not too bad job, and you will not hear a word from me about the differences.  


I did take reference pictures for the others though.  It will be easier.




As you see, the books are all piled all over the place, and the dvds are tucked on shelves that will get emptied when these are done.  If you think it was a fast process, you haven't dusted your own library of much loved books before.  

I have copies of books that I loved as a child, The Hardy Boys, Swiss Family Robinson, The Little White Horse. I have books my dad bought, just for me to read I think, and to encourage the rest of the kids to read too, like the Readers Digest Condensed books and the books with two novels in each.  And books that magically came across my path as an adult cruising the second hand stores, such as the lovely copy of Kristin Lavransdottir,  The Kalevala, and the Idylls of the King with its joyful dedication to a young lady and it's very sad note that women are fickle.  And then all the books like Angela's Ashes, and Memoirs of a Geisha and all People of the Book, some new, some second hand that I just really enjoyed reading as an adult. My hands linger over them in the same way they linger when I am playing with yarn.  The books fill me with joy and light and memories.


I am doing the three units because there just isn't any way that I can get everything done in a day, all the books dusted, sorted, tidied, shelves moved wiped down, wall behind dusted and washed and then finally the floors, before putting everything back in place.  The last two units will be done on Friday and then that chore will be done.  

There is a lot of stuff on the shelves and it is not a task that I looked forward to, but getting the chance to go through the books and remember is always sweet. Not too bad for a task I am doing only because I am not knitting at the moment. Sigh. Which by the way, may not be too far off  (crossing fingers, crossing toes, and saying my prayers most fervently).

In the meantime, I am dreaming about miniatures and having fun with teeny tiny things.  It is partly for bits and pieces to continue the decorating of the cabinet house, but it really does go back to the bedroom, and the bedding I want to sew, quilt and crochet or knit.  Or both.


No comments: