Tuesday 28 February 2023

An ordinary day. Without knitting...

I am certain that this whole not knitting thing is making everybody batty.  Still in an interesting way, I have found myself stimulated and interested in so many things.  I am reading a ton of books.  Yes they are mostly light mysteries but they are really good.  Try Daisy Dalrymple mysteries if you are looking for something different and yet familiar and comfortable.  

It is the sewing that is keeping me sane.  

The sewing is stimulating in an unexpected way.  It's unexpected because I never used to think of hand made clothes in a creative way.  I never thought much about how to take one pattern and adapt it to be something just a bit different and now, every time I turn around, I can see myself doing something different with the patterns I have.  It is weird because I never thought that I would be that kind of sewer who would change a collar or cut the neckline different or even think about changing the garment to make something very different than the pattern started as.  I just never thought of it that way.  Till I became a knitter.  Becoming a knitter changed everything.

I sewed today.  Rather, I did not sew, but I did cut and prepare and plan.  I have several pieces of wonderful winter flannelette shirt fabrics.  I wanted the shirts to have long sleeves and I wanted them to fit comfortably and yet be easy enough that if I wanted to put a light weight sweater underneath, it would have room to fit it.  Waikerie to the rescue.  


 I am making this version with long sleeves rather than the neat little tab sleeve but otherwise it is a simple basic Waikerie shirt.  It will suit this gorgeous blue and green plaid.  I love plaid and this blue and green is my favourite of all colour combinations.

I thought about starting sewing, but I had 'that feeling'.  I went and did some other fooling around looking at the internet.  I did find an interesting shirt style that I can adapt from one of my patterns.  I was looking to see if there were any variations sewing a shirt placket to sleeves, and found an ad for a simple tunic shirt with a standup collar and a front shirt placket.  It was simple and really nice. It will be a great variation on this shirt or on the  Torrens Box Top.  And if that isn't quite right, then I can certainly do it with the more fitted shoulders and crisp lines of the Tarawi shirt.

It was nice to cut out such good fabric and there is plenty left to make a Nullabor Cami from the leftovers.  It would make a great pair for those days when it is chilly in the morning but midday needs something light and easy to wear.

As I was mucking about in the sewing room, I found my linen pair of pants on the table waiting for repair.  I had sewn one side seam in a non stress area too close to the edge of the fabric and about two inches of the seam had come apart.  So I did a quick repair.


 
I had done a repair to my favourite shirt too.  I had not locked the side seam bottoms with a reverse stitch and they were letting go too.  These two pieces are the most comfortable things I have for summer wear.  The shirt is a linen cotton and the pants are a beautiful pure linen.  I would love to have more of this wonderful fabric.

Anyway that was my day.  I made chili and had a really good supper and then sat and did some squares.  And here I am and it is bedtime.  And thus ends the day.

No comments: