Tuesday 21 February 2023

A WIPs Dig and a Good Day.

I had a busy day today.  I had some errands this morning and then decided to clean out the WIPs bin.  It was time for a check on that yarn and the projects in the many bags to ensure that all is well there.  While I was at it, I thought it might be a good time, to make a list of everything that is on going to reacquaint myself with them.

Socks, many socks, many yarns, many wonderful fun things.


I love strong contrast so this pair is getting the charcoal stripes at the colour changes.  Both yarns are Kroy and they feel delicious.


I had to wonder at this bag of yarn.  There was no sock and no needles and then I remembered.  I took the sock and used it for my phone bag that I now carry all the time.  Some day soon, I need to make some i-cord so that I can carry it as a cross body bag instead of in front of me, getting in the way at every step.


And these pretty things.  The pattern is a pair of children's socks, the Baby Bootkin from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush.  I really enjoy knitting these.  They are so musical and the yarn is my very favourite Cotton Fun from Meilenweit, found in my deep stash.


These are for an upcoming project that is very exciting.  A mohair Log Cabin Shawl based on, or from The Log Cabin Field Guide from the Modern Daily Knitting ladies.  The Somerfeld Shawl is my goal.


My beautiful and oldest WIP, my Bridgewater Shawl.  I started this in the time before and though I have worked on it  since then, it goes slowly.  I will finish it this spring or summer.  It is time.


My stunning version of Starting Point by Joji Locatelli.  It is such a mix of yarns but I am utterly in love with this.  


Ice Cream Socks!  I Scream Socks from Operation Sock Drawer from the Knitmore Girls marvelous book.  These are high on my sock list though it will be a more poignant knit since my dad is no longer with us.  I can just hear him teasing us after dinner when we wanted a treat, I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.  And for the neopolitan ice cream we used to love because we were never allowed to have a whole pail of chocolate.  These socks will always remind me of my dad.


And this is an upcoming project too.  I need a monkey for my wee Everett of the fierce cry and the big hungry.  For a rough start he seems to be doing very well.


My very basic but oh so pretty socks.


The Drawer Full Socks, again from Operation Sock Drawer.


A sweater needing a restart.  The yarn is my stunning Midknit Cravings yarn in the now discontinued colour Pesto.  I simply adore this and will start it very shortly.  I know exactly how I want it to be so it is a good thing that i have had this time to think about things.


A teal cardigan for some very very gorgeous teal buttons purchased some years ago in Kelowna.


Eeep.  This is my blue and White Friesland by Jenise Hope.  The yarn is special because this was the yarn Marcus picked for me.  I meant to knit one a month.  Maybe this year.


My much loved Elton in Fleece Artist BFL 2/8.   


I had almost forgotten this.  It is my version of the Scandinavian Star Vest by Cheryl Oblerle from her book, Folk Vests.  I worried that the blue wasn't enough contrast for the white, but I no longer care.  I love the softness of it.  It is so very wonderfully me.  It is also Cascade 220 so it will be lovely and warm.

There were a few other yarns in the WIPS bin.  Two lace shawls and a bag of leftovers that I want to use for wrist warmers for me.  But that was the bottom of the WIPS bin and it is all vacuumed and tucked away now, nice and clean and ready for action.

After doing all that, I went to the fabric stash.  I needed to do the same thing to the fabric and spinning fibres as I did to the WIP bin.  It was time for a good clean and sort to freshen and air everything.  

While I was in there I also dug out an appropriate fabric for a test York Pinafore.  I am going to use an old piece of gaberdine from a suit i made years and years ago.  The fabric is a simple navy and if it works, it will be a wearable garment.  Gaberdine is never out of style. I cut out the fabric and it is ready for sewing tomorrow.  

I then had a nice cup of tea and a piece of Christmas cake that I found in the freezer.  And then, magically, it was time to make some soup for supper, beef and barley, good for a cold day and so my day was done but for a few little squares woven and some Time Team watched and enjoyed.  

I am always amazed at how much I get done in a day since my hospital visit. I used to be so tired that it took forever to do anything.  Medical science and a smart doctor made so much difference in my life.  It was a good day and I hope the good days continue.

No comments: