Thursday 23 February 2023

A good day for mail.

It was a pretty great sewing day.  The pinafore is complete and the adjustments are on the pattern pieces.  It only needs buttons now.  Still debating about button holes, though I have to say, I realized that if I took the time to make button holes, I could wear it as a long vest of sorts.  



I am not sure if I would ever wear it that way, but maybe?  It is complete and I am pretty happy with it.  

I pottered around doing a bit of other stuff through the day while I listened to a book, and then it was time for mail.  It was nice mail.

There was a package from my much loved River City Yarns.  I purchased a sweater quantity of their Adam and Eve yarn.  I have a special project in mind for this lovely stuff.  


The soft grey was requested and now I am just waiting for mohair.  I missed out on a matching silver handdyed mohair silk.  I waited too long to order and some other lucky person got the silver before me. Still I am very pleased at getting the silver Adam and Eve before it is all gone.  The mohair will be here in a week or so.  Rather than trying for a matching silver, I am going with a natural white undyed mohair that I found on esty.  It should arrive in a couple of weeks.    

And my fabric came.  I wasn't really thinking about purchasing fabric, but I have very few knits.  I needed some basic knits to make some undergarments.  Mine are all at least ten years old and even a really well made pantie won't get much beyond that.  The string stage is to be avoided.  I ended up purchasing a fair bit of navy and grey melange knit for tshirts, undies, turtlenecks, maybe a dress.  Undies and turtlenecks are needed first.  


 
I also took a bold decision to try a fairly expensive linen (at regular price) to make some Glebe pants or a skirt for summer wear to go with a wonderful piece of cotton linen I have.  


Aren't they a great match?  I had tried to get a matching colour fabric once before but was disappointed in the fabric and am using it for muslins.  There was a really good sale on for a few hours only and I took a chance and this time, I won.


I also purchased some cottons - they were very, very well priced - and a piece of stretch twill in black.  These are for a slighlty different cut of pants that I want to try and I did not have quite the right fabric for them.  Most of what I have is heavier and not quite as stretchy.

I really didn't need anything but the knits.  The other stuff was impossibly well priced.  Besides, I won't have tons of clothes even if I sew everything up that I have purchased in the last few years.  I still will have a much smaller wardrobe than average.  I will however have a wardrobe full of colour and pleasure and joy knowing it was made by me.

And only enough t shirts to wear as undershirts.**    

And for my final piece of interesting mail, I received my button hole thingy.  


For less than twenty dollars the tedious task of measuring out button holes just became dramatically easier.

**I hate t shirts in general.  It was all I had for far too many years.
  

No comments: