Saturday 14 January 2023

Pin Loom Practise

I had a really great sleep last night and woke with the gumption to give this a first try.  

There are all kinds of ways to warp a pin loom, but what I was after was the three pin loom style warping.  I like that it cuts down the amount you have to weave and speed is what it is all about.  It is a dishcloth and while I have knit or crocheted them, it really is not my favourite thing. This is bound to be faster. 

I found some great videos online and got started.  I did have a few hiccups warping and getting the first rows of weaving done, but it only took about five minutes to get this much of the weft done.


From this point on it went much faster.  I worked with the crochet hook they included at first but I found that awkward and weird.  Next I tried a curved upholstery needle but the tip was too sharp for my needs.  Then I thought of a long afghan hook.  That would certainly work better than a regular crochet hook.  Unfortunately, I think gave that away in a box of needles I sold at one of the garage sales I had.  

I looked at what I did have and I got to work. I had a pair of old straights marked size 1, so a 2.25 mm needle.  I am never going to need a long straight needle of that size.  Circulars are my thing.  A quick twist of the tip with a pliers and I have a tool that is the right length and fits almost perfectly.  The only problem is that the end hook is a bit too wide to go sideways through the pins.  It just means that I have to turn it upright and deal with a bit of careful over and under, but it isn't too bad.  You can see my invention clearly above.



Before I knew it, I had a good bit of work done.  

I have no doubt that there will be a few hiccups till I get the hang of it all.  I know there are a few weird bits on this first piece, but I think it will hold together.  I have a few ideas for marking the three pin groups but I am going to wait ti see exactly how that master of three pin pin looms, the Zoom Loom does it.  It ought to arrive sometime next week.  

Till then I will play and pray that my hand starts doing better.  One is pretty much ready to go, but the other is going to need a bit more rest and recuperation time. I miss knitting.  But soon.

No comments: