Monday 2 January 2023

Floors!

First off, I am tremendously unhappy with myself about the last post of the year.  I dearly wished I had posted nothing because I was so obviously struggling for a weird reason, though now I understand it, not so weird.  I have been using oxygen during the days as I was instructed to do but the New Years was a challenge, both Eve and Day. I ended up with a sleepless night and then the next day, broke into someone's vacation and called in need of help to sort it out.  Turns out, there is a good chance that I no longer need the daytime O2. I have to monitor my O2 levels regularly but so long as I stay in my target range or recover to my target range quickly, I will do okay without.  Which is lovely.  I have no tail.  I hated dragging air hose all over.  

I did a Sunday morning zoom knitting.  It was lovely to visit for a bit with people and talk about knitting again.  It has been a while.  I couldn't knit though.  I tried and could feel my thumb after only 10 or so stitches. More healing is needed.

When I left you last week, I showed you some of the card stock I prepped by marking it into squares. 


Since then, I prepped a second sheet and painted them, one white, one blue.  Each sheet was then sealed with ModPodge and dried.  And dried.  And dried and then finally pressed flat under the weight of some of my very large books.  I cut the sheets into tiles today, you see them here sitting atop the subfloor.


I am using a subfloor so that the flooring can easily be changed out if I don't like this or if I need to turn the cabinet to other uses again. (It started life as bathroom storage.) It is also easier than trying to stay straight inside the cabinet.  I really enjoyed laying out the tiles.


The first few minutes were very rewarding and


it just kept being enjoyable. I mounted all the tiles using ModPodge again.  It really is a great adhesive, sealer and any number of other things you can use it for.  It dries nice and clear and if you really want a wash of colour you can add a bit of craft paint mix it up well.  After all these years reading about it, this is the first time I used it and it was great.


Here it is finished but for trimming to fit after it is completely set and dry and here, installed.


There was a bit more trimming after this but I was so happy with it that I had to take a picture.  That took the better part of the afternoon.  It isn't perfect but it is close enough for me.  

Now to get all the things I already have for my kitchen back into my kitchen, dishes in cabinets, cookware on the stove, things like that.  As I was working on placing the living room flooring, I was dreaming about what else I might want to do to decorate my cabinet house. 

Wouldn't a chair rail high row of delft look tiles around the room look fine?  Maybe?   And I have to sort out windows.  The plan is to make a faux window.  I don't want to cut cabinet walls to install a real window,  but a kitchen really needs a window or two.  A window needs curtains and there should be rugs so that in the corner, where the rocking chair will sit, your feet are cozy.  There are other bits and pieces needed too, like a washtub and a drying rack for the sink.  I saw the kind I want on the lovely movie, Ethel and Earnest, (which you need to watch).  Earnest built it for her and it is the perfect thing for the style of sink I have.  

I do have lots of little bits and pieces, but I also have lots that I still want to add and make.   I am glad I have it to play with and keep me busy while I cannot knit.  The knitting sadly has to stop till the hand feels better.  I am counting the days.

No comments: