Wednesday 27 July 2022

Jumbled Words.

If you are a newer reader, you will notice in the car photo yesterday there seems to be a lot of books in the background.  Yes.  I have a library, a large and moderately diverse library.  

ignore cars, look at books.


There is the romance section, which lives in my bedroom.  It lives there only because there is room here for it.  The livingroom is short of walls to put bookcases against so that section lives in my bedroom.  They are old favourites for the most part.  Series by certain of the writers that were big in the eighties and ninties like Jude Devereaux and Johanna Lindsay.  I used to have many many more but as we moved, it just got to be too much.  I kept the ones I would reread and gave the others away.  There is always someone looking for good romances.

Then there is the cookbook section.  That lived in the dining part of the kitchen but we finally moved it to the side closer to the livingroom.  Again, if there was more space for bookcases it would be in the livingroom. The cookbooks take up their own not insignificant space.  As is, they are stuffed onto a half height Ikea Billy bookcase.  I still love paging through when I am mystified about what to make for dinner.  It is much more real to me that a recipe search on google.

I have a large section of history and myth for want of a better word, historical books that are more than fiction somehow and more than history. I  love well researched historic fiction, but I also love pure history.  The reasonably decent copy of the Anglo Saxon Chronicles or the Great Fire of London, a book so dry, it is not at all surprising that London burned.  Yes I have several McCullough (my most favourite voice in all the world)  but I also have Marcus Aurelias and smatterings of Plato.

I have a joyous fiction section, joyous because I read them all and will again and they are books I can travel the world in and still get resolution from when I visit them.  I have a lot of Agatha Christie too.  

In my very modern library I have a wide section of dvd movies too sharing space and place with books.  

And then I have books on plants and books on crafting.   The crafting are the ones that often jump off the shelves and litter the room.  They are so noisy, demanding to be heard and looked at and paid a-attention. to.  I am trying to knit something from each of them.  It is more than knitting though.  There are books of embroidery, and crochet, and colours for threadwork and 

So many more.

I could write more about the library, but without the books here to show you, it all is just jumbled words.  It is well into morning and it is time to get my day underway lest I talk only of books and never do the things they inspire me to do.

No comments: