Monday 9 May 2022

One Trick Pony


It seems I am a one trick pony.  I can only really do one thing a day and the day I thought I might have found balance?  That was probably me just really settling into sewing.  Sigh.  Oh well.  Things are getting done and I have clothing.

I sorted out and put away fabric today.  The piles were getting a bit out of control.  There is a box with left over pieces that needed to be ordered, added to and put away.  There was the box of old patterns that needed sorting and recycling.  There was a pile of pants fabric that could be put away till a wee bit later in the year.  Then there was fabric to pull out to make the two crinkle cotton tops I was thinking of this morning, plus I kept out the very pretty almost vintage fabric too.  


I have had this fabric since the mid nineties, when I was sewing for office garments.  It is a pretty polyester with a lovely little embroidered motif all over it.  I am not sure that it would take a lot of wear and tear, but I just feel I should have one dressier thing.  This top will work under a shirt style jacket (it will be made with a sueded fabric I already have on hand) to be as dressy as I will ever need to be.  Time to wear it and not just admire it.

Do you know what the really cool part is?  There is enough of this fabric left to make a short sleeve blouse, so you may see it again when I am working with the regular sleeved Tarawi shirt pattern. I must have been planning for several blouses in my original purpose.  It is a wide fabric and there is a lot there.

I cut out the three tops and sewed them in batches. I did all the interfacing parts for all the tops and did the pressing so they were ready to be added to the fronts and backs.  Once that is done for these tops, there really isn't much left to do.  Two of the tops are completely finished but for hemming


and the third one, a black crinkly gauze, is ready for facings and sleeve cuffs.  From there, it is about a thirty minute job to completion.  The hemming on all of them will be done tomorrow.  By machine.

If I get up at a half decent hour tomorrow, I will get this all done and will face the buttonholes.  Which I have once again successfully avoided.

Yup.  

If you are good at something keep it handy in your arsenal.  Even if your super power is avoiding stuff.



No comments: