Wednesday 16 March 2022

Fabric with no pretenses

As expected, yesterday was a sewing day.  The fabric for this dress was a light and airy cotton viscose print.  I have two fabrics for dresses in this session of sewing because like my first madras cotton dress, it is wonderfully light and very washable wearable.  It is not however, crisp.

Even when I press this fabric, as soom as it is moved a bit or sewn to the next part, it is no longer ironed looking.  It becomes soft and a wee bit crinkled looking much like a double gauze does.  I am pretty sure that plays a huge part in why I love this fabric blend.  No pretenses and I don't have to iron it for it to look exactly like it is going to look while wearing.  

I get well along to completion yesterday.  I just have to attach the skirt and hem it.  I would have been happy with just getting the top completed, but my heel was feeling good so I just kept on working.  The skirt panels were sewn together and all the edges finished too.  By that time, my heel was giving it up, so I took the skirt and gathered it by hand and then pinned it to the top.  By that time, I was feeling pretty brazen, and I thought about pushing my heel to just get it all done.  I took it and tried but I couldn't focus any longer, not close enough for sewing at any rate.  As things go, that probably saved me time taking things apart this morning and redoing them properly.  

Anyway, dress number two will be complete very shortly and dress number three will at least have the interfacings attached to the fabric.  If I can get those small things done before I go to sleep, the dresses will all be done by Friday.  And then I can start on shirts and other tops for summer.  

No comments: