Tuesday 11 January 2022

Irritation and Solutions

I am not sure you can see it here.  There are two rows of dark blue, then a row of white and light blues and then, active on my cable and tips is another row of dark blue.


That row of dark blue I am actively knitting?  Wrong colour.  Undercurrent is a two row striped sweater based on Jared Flood's long ago, two row striped scarf.  Since I am almost at the end of that round of dark blue, it is kind of a pain.  Each and every day, I do this at least once.  If I would have tracked the extra rows I knit just because of wrong colour rows, I would have finished the body of this sweater. The blues are in some places stunningly close.  If you look at the bottom of the photo you can see one patch where the two yarns are really very close.  So, yet again, I took back an almost complete row.

I love this sweater, but it is not without issues.  

I did something else that I wanted to write about.  For a long time, I have been planning to sew project bags and sweater bags so that I could stop using ziplocs.  I have fabric scraps and there will be more as I sew up the fabric I bought last winter.  I am particularly interested in bags to store my completed sweaters.  The ziplocs fill my big sweater chest with air and the last two years, ziploc seals have not been very reliable on the 5 to a box bag size. I am tired of replacing them after just a few uses.  

I wanted zipper bags over bags with a tie.  It will be the best option to keep bugs out of my things. So today, I merrily went looking at zippers.  And I started thinking of zippers and sewing zippers.  I hate sewing zippers.  It brings out all the things about my sewing that is not good.  It is fussy and fiddly and I just am not a big fan.  I will if I must but...

So I started looking at bags online.  I love some of the ones my favourite vloggers make.  They are fun and creative and sadly out of my price range.  Plus they really aren't quite what I need for size and they are far too lovely to just bury in my old sweater chest.  I don't really even need fancy ones for projects.  I don't go far enough to need more than a couple pretty bags and I have two or three small projects bags already.  

I thought about need versus want and settled on purchasing a basic cotton tote style bag with a zipper.  The cost is affordable at under six dollars each.  These are plain unlined with long shoulder straps that will likely come off.  And did I mention that they already have a zipper sewn in?  

So yes, I caved but if it gives me more time to knit and solves a problem with my current storage, I am game for it.

No comments: