Monday 3 January 2022

A Good Day

I felt unsettled this morning and my hand needed a break after working so much on my pretty Fleece Artist sweater.  So I took a break and pulled out some boxes I have been meaning to check into for a while now.  

I have a stack of square cube boxes with lids, all of which are labeled but for one.  One of them is where the bits and ends of sock yarn goes when a pair of socks is finished.  Another is stuffed with leather bits.  One box has bobbins for spinning.  Another has my handspun finished yarns.  And there there is a box labeled yarn to put away and another box labeled other yarn.   It was these last I wanted to see.  

On opening, it was revealing and yet not so revealing.


There was a half completed shawl that I was never going to finish.  I love the yarns.  Both are silk and wool blends and would make a lovely cowl.  I think that is what these will be.  I packaged them up and tucked them aside.

Then there were various bags and bits of yarn, but as I was going through them, I realized here was another pretty thing for a cowl.  It's a small part of one of the prettiest colours of Kauni 2/8 and two and a bit skeins of white white baby yarn.  Cowl of something surely. Tucked aside in a project bag, waiting.


Yummy.  Two skeins of Kathmandu Chunky and a few ends, but plenty for a pair of mittens.  This yarn would make the best mittens.  Packaged up and set aside.


And this lovely red and orange and yellow left over from a pair of wrist warmers needs to be a cowl or mittens or maybe even wrist warmers for me for bed.



And here were some yarns I was thinkin of just the other day.  I think I can use these along with some of my Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Chunky Tweed to stretch things out just the smallest bit so that I can make a sweater exactly as I want from both of the greens I have of that really cozy yarn.

This is a bit lighter weight than the Debbie Bliss, but it has a very similar look.  If I beef up this with a bit of laceweight or with some fingering if needed, it should work.  Packaged up and set aside till I do a big stash dive to sort out the yarns.

And then with all that cowl thinking and other stuff, I decided to pull out one of the yarns from my handspun stash. It is easy to leave it as a finished project and never knit with it, but this is a good year to take it out and use it. 

Right from the get go, I felt this bouncy unflappable yarn would make a great cowl.  

If I seem to be cowl obsessed, it is because I am.  I have been chilly so far this winter, and having something warm cozying up to the back of my neck makes me ever so much warmer over all.  I have been wearing my Huj Tub and a really lovely lace mobius from the Rainey Sisters,  TopsyTurvy, because they both snuggle perfectly for defeating chilly.  Need more cowls.  Also need more wrist warmers, but that is for another day.

I took all the really small parts of yarns, the walnut sized balls, the part skeins, the stuff that I don't want to see again, but may need one day, and put them in a box all their own and put the project things in a box and called it a good day.  

No comments: