Thursday 25 November 2021

Lookin good.

I got up this morning determined to do stuff.  And I did.  I made my coffee and sat down to sew.  I cannot tell you how good it looked.  Everything was done but the hand sewing bits on collars, cuffs and hems, and I was going to take a photo and admire my work and...


I noticed the cuff opening was at the wrong place.  Sigh.  

It was at the inside wrist, not the back wrist or the underside wrist.  I had the sleeves on backwards.  Bugger.  The sleeve cap is the same both ways and the chalk marks were gone, so I didn't worry and pinned and sewed .  Never even occurred to me to look at that part.

It is more than 15 years since I did a sleeve with a cuff.  I usually made short sleeves when I was sewing for work because I always had a jacket or something on too. That is the last major sewing I did other than curtains and recently, pants and simple tops.  I guess it is good practise for the next batch of sewing I will do, some nice plaid shirts of my own.  


It meant that the rest of my evening was taking sleeves off and opening up the side seams on the shirt again.  I prefer to sew sleeves in flat. It is the cleanest quickest way.  Everything is ready for tomorrow morning and fresh eyes.  Sleeves in and seams resewn and away we go.  

Usually something like this makes me want to throw in the towel on everything and just knit socks but I can't do that.  First, I have monkeys to make with a deadline and next, because this:


Six pairs of arms, all approximately the same length, ready for stuffing and closing before being attached to monkey bodies. Legs?  Check.  Arms?  Check.

I know I meant to intersperse limbs and bodies to keep me interested, but somehow these all were done in little moments in the day, a few rows at a time.  It just magically happened, I guess.  So next up is the tails.  Tails are the last tubular thing and there is only one tail per monkey.  It will be a breeze.



What could have been awful was boosted by the monkey parts and because, I saw the shirt and it was glorious before I noticed the problem.  I know where I am going with it and am pretty sure it will turn out well.  I have a road map and how often does that happen in life.  

No comments: