Sunday 3 October 2021

Weirdness at my house.

The part about doing a big clean and reorganization in my house, is that all sorts of weird stuff comes up.  Like this.  I got a lovely large geranium for Mother's day.  It was great and had the prettiest red flowers.  I love red flowers.  I wanted to save some over for next year so I needed some indoor pots or pots that would not leak.  

I wanted to keep it easy for picking up so I went with what I could find at Canadian Tire in my price range, so basically your six inch green planter pots.  The planter post have little trays to go under them that are sold seperately and which were not available.  In the old days, I would have tucked a saucer under them and called it good, but with all the moves, I have no excess dishes.  I thought about good old fashioned milk jug bottoms but we don't drink that much milk.  Getting enough to do all the pots would take quite some time.  

And then I remembered a thing I had seen on youtube about laminationg plastic shopping bags and turning them into a sewable fabric.  It struck me that something like that might work and I did have a big sack of bags on hand.

These were my bags after they were laminated, ie, melted lightly togehter to produce a hevier sturdier waterproof stuff.  


I cut my large pieces into squares and sewed up the corners to make litttle trays.  


Not at all fancy, but it didn't cost anything.  So far, it is working and is stopping my little hole in the bottom pots from leaking on the floor.  The plants are all repotted, in the wrong season to be sure, but they needed it none the less.

And once that job was done, I knit.  


Like usual, I wish this was going faster, but acrylic is not the easiest to work with at this gauge.  It is hard on my hands but I take breaks and stretch and am going to hope for the best.  Just sleeves and the button band remaining, and my biggest concern is finding buttons again.  I could source everything else I needed for sewing easy enough but buttons have been a challenge. You can find all kinds of lovely trendy pretty buttons, but ordinary cards of four or six plain buttons?  That is hard.  Everything is now for crafts and craft buttons are packaged very differently than buttons for clothing.  

I am going to go through what was left from Owen's little sweater and will keep my fingers crossed. 

No comments: