Wednesday 4 August 2021

Golden

I sewed a bit yesterday.  I didn't get there till the afternoon, but I did sew.

And...it was stressful.  

The stuff I am sewing right now, a pair of lovely wide legged Glebe pants, is a very very light knit.  It is stuff that is more suitable to a skirt or undergarments or something.  It is almost see through and I think would be more likely to be like tights that are not pants if it wasn't that I was lining them with an equally light weight knit.  

It has to be pinned within an inch of its life.  It has to be sewn with absolutely no pulling on it, just let the machine do the work.  It is slippery and slidey and is driving me mad, except for one thing.  I think I am going to love these more than any other pair of pants I ever make.  I think that after wearing the top around the house a little bit the day I sewed it.  It's a wonderful fabric against my skin. 

 And it is going to make me love working with rayon.  Rayon will be a cakewalk by comparison.  This is a good thing because the pretty red and white polka dot dress that is up next is all rayon.

This afternoon when I have sewn enough, I am going to cut out some of that great cotton that I picked up the last time I ordered from my favourite fabric supplier.  I am looking forward to this too, because each of the fabrics is three metres.  Top one will be a Torrens Box Top and hacks thereof and the second from each piece is going to be a Nullabor Cami.  I love the Box Top pattern.  Those will be easy sewing even with the kids around, but the Nullabor is not one I have tried before.  

I wasn't even sure I was going to bother with it if I am honest. I bought the pattern but then when push came to shove, I really wasn't in love with the idea of  the separate shoulder strap construction.  I thought it was going to be one of those things that got buried at the bottom of the pattern pile, never to be sewn.   I thought I would end up replaceing it with a bevy of tops from an really old basic tank pattern I have. 

And then during a search for Muna and Broad on Instagram, I realized that there were a lot of really great tops from this pattern and a couple really cute dress hacks.  The more I looked, the more I liked.  And then somebody talked about it being something you could get from a yard and a bit and I was sold.  By having the strap separate, you lose the need for yardage.  And, if like me, you have a stash of things you can use for a coordinating facingor if you are so inclined, a dramatically clashing facing, you are golden. 

That's me.  I am golden.  But I still have to sew the knits.  That can only mean one thing.  More coffee and then get down to it.       

No comments: