Tuesday 18 May 2021

Drizzle and White

As much as my excitement is all about the Ffiesland blanket, my actual knitting has to be about all the rest of the things.  I still want to finish up some of the projects that spill out from my WIP bins. I am being good about it and i am working on those.

One to be specific.  Working on one, my big Shetland Shawl.  And it is big.  I am starting to get a real feel for just how big it is now that I am nearing the second corner.  This thing is massive.  End to end, it psreads beyond my reach.  I can't tell yet how big it is across corners but I do know that not knowing is probably protective.  

I have just started to do the corner work where I have more edging rows than stitches taken from the shawl.  All along on the flat sides, you take off one stitch for every two rows of edging but to make my straight lace edging go nicely around the corners, I need more.  Over and above the usual, I am knitting extra edging rows by 2s and then 3s into one stitch from the shawl. It is like a waltz, certainly like music of some kind.  121221232333   It's a technique described best in Nancy Bush's Knitted Lace of Estonia.  It worked beautufully around the first corner  



and with my notes from Rav and a bit of care to do it all again, will keep looking beautiful.  

It is raining here this morning and the current forecast for tonight is snow.  You would think this would make me sad but it am so happy about it.  Snow at this time of the year adds a little extra something to the soil, but this year, I hope we get lots, simply because we are so dry.  It is so dry that the spring this house sits on top of is barely running.  Spring usually means the sump pump runs every hour once the ground is fully thawed and it slows over summer, but this year, this spring it is running only two or three times a day.  I am actually listening for it and kind of missing the hum of it.  We are very very dry here and I pray for rain daily.  

With rain comes cooler weather, and cooler weather means winter sweaters and layers of shawls.      

No comments: