Monday 1 March 2021

Gauge Games

I am all about the vest and you know what?  I am gettng pretty darn sick of the vest.  It is a whole week since I started it and I had hoped to have it completed by now.


It is getting a whole  lot closer to finished but at 12 inches from the underarm, on the fronts only, it really does have a ways to go.  I need 18 to make it look and wear as I want it to.  

I am sticking with changing needles sizes to change the gauge of the garment.  The choice had me really worried that the fabric would get to soft but so far so good.  I also decided to split the hem so that if it is not enough for fit  with just needle changes, that it still will fit how I want it to.  When I look at it, laid out like this, I think the dimension say it should be fine. 

I have never done this kind of thing before, using changing needle sizes to change the gauge of the work to adapt to the size you want.  There are not a lot of things I would do it on, but this yarn is a kind of freebie leftover so it is totally up for goofing around and testing thought and play.  

The top was done with a 3.5 mm tips and is deeply ribbed and very crisp.


I am now working with 5 mm tips and you can really see how the fabric is changing.


The ribs are soread apart much farther and are not quite so crisp.  Thanks to the yarn, they still hold their shape and form but I don't think that will be the case if I go up any farther.  I might try a few rounds just to see, but I haven't committed to it.  I really like the feel of it as the change happens down the sweater as is.  

I am also going to knit something else today just for a change.  Not the whole day but maybe just for the morning.  I enjoy the stitch dance that goes on here, but even when you are dancing you need to take a rest.  

No comments: