Monday 1 February 2021

What is a weekend?

An aquaintance commented the other day that they were losing track of the days and that started me thinking about how we mark and keep time and how in these pandemic days, it affects my mental health, personally, when I lose track of the days.  It takes care and effort on occasion to keep track.  **see note below

If I am honest, doing all the small repairs on the sewing table had a lot to do with this.  I felt like every single Sunday morning for months was laundry that couldn't be skipped.  It felt like it urgently needed doing every second day.  Sorting out that pile has given me leeway.  With that breathing space, I decided to make sure to give myself weekends again.  This weekend, I only allowed myself to do things that I had not done in a bit.

So I put a few rows on the blanket.

.  
I had hoped it would magically be half way done, but I need to get back to a few rows everyday to feel that again.  Still I am in the blue and that is enough for right now.

And then I did work on things that I hadn't done for a bit.  Socks, wonderful socks.  A little while ago, I talked about how there were so few socks in the while of 2020.  Three, plus one pair that bridged 2019/2020.  It isn't enough to keep a sock drawer going.

I had wanted to make more of an effort with socks this year and I wanted to see a few patterns from my books, particularly from my new book.  First up, though, getting socks on the go, going.


Till this weekend, these were at sock one, half done.  I am pleased with the bit I did with these, finished sock one and a good foundation for sock two.


The ongoing scrappy sock from the wee liitle scrap yarn ball is going well.  I had to change out the navy second strand so that I would have enough left to have a bit of navy for the second sock.  I pulled out a single of a green teal that I had several times over in the bin. Sock one is complete and though it is a little hard to see here, sock two has the ribbing complete and is well on the way.

I did knit on my String Theory Socks, but only a few rounds.  I love knitting them.  Such marvelous colours but I fear they will not be sturdy enough for my usual wash day toss em with the rest washing method.  Plus, the stripes are exactly the right number of rows.  You never get tired of a colour that does that.

And then a wee bit of a yarn dive.


I did a bit of picking and choosing for my next up socks.  These pretty skeins might be it.  One is a lovely blue Opal and the green is a sock yarn.  I hate when I lose the blall bands.  Oh well.

Sunday morning though I was faced with an overwhelming urge.  I pay attention to these because it often pays off.It's nothing supernatural about it.  It is just a bunch of little things that are not big enough to recall, piling up in your brain and shouting.  This time,  I had a strong urge to check my onlline fabric source.  

It is the season for fabric deals and you just never know when the right stuff will pop up. I have lots of fabric on hand.  However, very little of it was for pants.  I had never sewn pants because of fit issues with patterns.  I just didn't have any that was bought for pants until last July.  I bought three kinds of fabric to sew them.  One was a heavy super stretchy stuff that was a bit expensive, one was a basic knit fabric and one was because it was just ten dollars a metre.  I thought that fabric would be no loss if the first try of patterns didn't work out. I absolutely love it.  Great stuff for ten bucks a meter.  I always wanted more of it but couldn't find it from the many options.  

My urge to check my fabric source paid off.  I found it again and got enough for a few more pairs at six bucks a meter.  More than a few actually.  The online store had tweleve metres left so I bought it all.  Yes I still have the other fabric waiting but it is so very nice to know that I can have more of the right stuff.

To top that all off, Keith found the first of the esports F1 series races to watch.  So F1.  Esports are not quite my thing, but it was a silly sort of fun till the real stuff resumes in late March.

So for a weekend where I was needing to really make a weekend, I can only say, wow, what a weekend!   

** I think tracking time comes from deep within humans.  Earliest recorded history is filled with calendars and ways and means to track time. I suspect it is instinctive. 

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Lol. I don't even know what esports f1 is.