Friday 19 February 2021

What an Interesting Day!

Well that was interesting and I do not mean that with any sarcasm at all.  It was just interesting.



This is where the day started.  I was not feeling really comfortable with the pattern at this point.  Casting on a stitch in the yellow and the weird purl instructions were a thing I could not wrap my mind around.  I looked at pictures and I couldn't see where this oddness was going.  I confess, I was just about ready to do my own thing because I was struggling with the oddity and just felt as if it was needless when you looked at the end result of the sweater.  I went and made another cup of coffee while I thought about things and took a little time out.

I read the whole pattern through.  I read the blurb on the sweaters Ravelry page.  And then I understood.  By the time I was finished with these three rows of knitting, my nice hot cup of coffee had had one sip out of it and was  cold.


That just never happens with coffee here.  I usually get at least half done before I forget it.  But this?  This was such an interesting opportunity to learn a really interesting new technique. I was totally immersed and entertained by the chance to learn something new in a project I was doing anyway.  And over three rows.  Not threatening at all and repeated often enough that if I was ever faced with the need for the technique again, I could do it without any problem at all.

To be strictly honest, Briggs & Little Sport is a fairly sticky sort of yarn, perfect for colourwork in my mind, and could have easily be fine without doing this technique, but once I understood what was going on, it seemed like an opportunity with no real time committment.

Ladderback Jacquard.  The first time I saw it was on the Rainey Sisters Blog, and I have been thinking about trying one of the designs for hats designed as tutorials for the technique.  Now I don't have to. 


You can see two of the short inside the sweater tier of stitches holding the floats in place with no stress on the stitches to the outside finish.  Or would be if I had done every single one correctly.  I think there are two spots that will need a wee bit of a duplicate stitch.  Yes my purls are twisted but that is a personal preference that is much more natural for me to produce and speedier to me too.  To anyone else, it would not be.  There it is.

This morning I will be trying on the sweater to see where I am with repsect to the length of the yoke.  And then onwards.  Once the body and sleeves are separated, this sweater will become zoom knitting.  

What an interesting and inspiring sort of day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Needles!

I have found that watching the progress on your projects is truly satisfying when I am not able to do so for various reasons. I like the sweater and the detailing of the pattern reminds me of "feathers blowing in the wind". Leaves in autumn also come to mind. the technique I haven't seen before so that was a learning.

The majority of my time is related to assisting family during present times. My handwork is suffering. I often comment to my mum who is 96 this year and still quilting that I am amazed at your ability and variety in your projects. She still lives in a senior's apartment and loves her crafts. It's truly pleasurable to see such lovely work and your determination to complete your works of art. Your stash posts always leave me with a deep respect for your enthusiasm and the variety of your balls of treasured yarn.

It must be be really refreshing to meet with other knitting friends on Zoom. I do envy that during the pandemic. My rural connectivity unfortunately makes that almost impossible. It is also something that needs to be rectified for many rural albertans and Canadians. Hopefully, it will come sooner rather than later for us.

Thanks for the info on Zauberballs that was knew for me. May I ask where you got your pattern for tube socks. I have my monkey blanket in progress and your right it does get heavy. I think we could actually categorize making one of these as satisfying but "a real workout". I think tube socks might be something I could work on without having to worry when I nod off and I need socks.

Thanks,

Fay