Friday 15 January 2021

There Will Be Joy

I pulled out a little something different to work on yesterday.  My big beautiful Shetland shawl.  It has always been by my side but I don't think I worked on it since September.  Hey, I checked.  It was mid October when I set it aside to do blankets.  

When I pulled it out yesterday, I thought just a repeat or two of the lace.  If I do that every day it won't take long to complete. It wouldn't either.  If you could remember exactly what the heck you were doing.  I worked on it for a couple hours and then I sat and looked at it.  Still not a go.

If I am completely honest, I am not thrilled with this motif.  


I'm not sure it is a good balance for the very pretty pattern I have in the lace border.  


You get a hint of the delicacy of this pattern here.  


It is lovely, Isn't it.  Sigh.

I have never felt that this lace border was the right thing for this shawl.  It just feels wibbly in comparison.  Too substantial and not quite the right end somehow.  I pulled everything back to the entire lace edging back to the start of it again.  Not the whole shawl mind, just the lace edging!

The problem is that my foray into other patterns hasn't led to anything I like better.  There is one I like better, but it is much wider than this large shawl needs.  


I restarted the same lace but I am going to have a good hard look at other lace edgings in my large library of stuff.  I am even considering taking a stab at making the edging I do like smaller.  

It is all just a little bit of fun where I haven't been having too much fun lately.  That is surely part of my usual large project ending process, a letdown followed by something wonderful.  There is all ways something to reignite my complete and utter joy with knitting.  

No comments: