Monday 18 January 2021

The Rhythm of a Gentle Lace.

Friday was exactly like I thought it would be.  I searched through all my stitch dictionaries for a pattern I liked better than the one I was knitting on my Shetland shawl.  I had tea.  I relaxed and gave myself permission to make looking in my books the only job I had to do that day.

I did have another task though.  I had promised the landlord that I would make some bread bowls and chili to serve within.


I chose  a good sturdy light rye bread forthe breadbowls, something that could soak up the juicy yumminess of the chili.  Other than that the dough did not rise worth a hoot, it was great.  I have a feeling that the spoon I thought I was using to measure the yeast, the two teaspooon measure and second size in the spoon set, was actually the single teaspoon, second in size, on the other spoon set.  It was perfect, just a bit dense even for a rye loaf.

By Friday evening I had decided on the lace I would use.  It isn't from the Shetland book but it has a lot in common with Shetland designs.  To me, Shetland designs are striking for their beauty, opennesss and simplicity.  And that surely is a hallmark of this design.  It is the Godmothers Edging from the second BW Treasury.  


 
It is wider than the original edging I was using, but not really all that much.  Previously, I was doing a faggotted row to join the lace which was six stitches and the lace itself was ten or eleven stitches where on this lace edging, I am foregoing the faggotting and just doing the much more open lace edging straight to the shawl.   I am very very pleased with it and by the end of the day yesterday had  over half but not quite two thirds of a side complete.  And that is how I know this is the right edging.  I am knitting it a hundred times faster, it is lyrical and it stays exciting to knit.

As I was putting it away for the day yesterday, the finished edge sort of flopped to the front of the table and my breath caught.  I had to lay it out here for you so you could see what I saw.


Look at that gentle wave of colours.  



Twice, because it is so nice.  I could sit and stare at that the whole day.  I won't though.  I have some buns to make and to do laundry.  Yes again.  I generally don't on weekends, so currently Monday means I am breaking into the pants reserve.  I mean to attack that sewing table and get a couple more pairs of pants sewn.  

And then I will sit down and knit a bit on this thing of joy and relax and fall into the rhythm of a gentle lace.

No comments: