Wednesday 6 January 2021

The order of the day.

There were spurts of brilliance yesterday and then there were moments where I was winding yarn.  The brilliance had nothing to do with knitting or any hand work and yet it was the best thing I did in the day.  

There was much winding too.  It took longer than I thought but much of it needed to be rewound to not be under tension.  The mohair yarns are not something you can leave tightly wound in a ball and expect to use without it sticking to itself.  


I didn't want to leave the silk tightly wound either.  It appears to be a single ply and it is softly spun.  I don't really expect it to be a really strong yarn.  Loose winding will benefit me when I knit with it.  



And then I fell in love with colour.  It was breathtaking.


The Superkid Silk from Hand Maiden concealed light within its colours.  It glowed as it wound.  It was breathtaking to behold.  It is the Bird of Paradise colourway.

The  Adam and Eve from River City Yarns looks a little pale in comparison, particularly in the pictures, but oh my, in real light, this is a fine, fine thing.  Each skein is unique.


Unique does mean that I will have to use a bit of care to blend carefully.  Three are fairly similar in tone and the other two are one lighter in tone and the other just a wee bit stronger.  But then are all loevely things and I can't wait to knit with them.

And in the mail came a package from a little local store who was kind enough to mail me a shipment of yarn to get to work on the last big Sock Monkey Cabin Blanket.  


Cream yarn in hand, in quantity, plenty to finish up the sweep of blankets for each of my kids.  

I also wound up all the yarn for the Quoddy Blue Agate Cove sweater, so you can see where I plan to go for the rest of the winter.  And summer.  With luck and lack of distraction.  Onward to sewing. That must be the order of the day.

No comments: