Thursday 1 October 2020

Slippery Slopes

I dreamt of slippers last night.  Possibly my feet were cold, but in any case, I dreamt of slippers.  The slippers I dreamed of are not quite what I am doing at the moment but they may well be what I do this afternoon.

It seemed right this morning that when my feet were still cold, that I sit down and put bottoms on the socks I had planned to reuse as slippers.  These socks may have been knit with slipper making in mind, but the sadly discontinued Big Fabel sock yarn is too good for just slippers.  They needed to be socks first, it seems.  The bottoms are done for so it is time to make a change.


I am giving sheepskin a shot today.  These are from the scrap bags I purchased on my epic adventure at Egli's Sheep Farm not too far from Dryden On.  If you are ever going by or need a something wool, and don't make it yourselves?  These guys can take care of you.  

These are bags of scraps, some smaller scraps some larger, and I knew that somewhere in there were some that I could do a full sole with.


I cut the soles out roughly and dug out the awl from the set of screw drivers, pullers and stuff Keith bought me, and started poking holes.


Pictured is sole one half one, though in truth it is complete and is on my foot at the moment.  So far so fair.  This is a test pair and if it works ok, I will make a sole and then knit the 'sock' to go on top.  I expect that to be rather like Anna Zilbourg's method for knitting replaceable soles on socks. 

Something different today.  I am saving the knitting for this evening.

Aslo note to self:  Find the plyers to pull with.  That would speed the process a lot.

No comments: