Tuesday 20 October 2020

At Play

I think I am going to do a stash dive today.  That generally means there will be a bit of knitting, but there will also be a lot of fooling around.  

I am busy knitting things and I have plenty of sweaters to work on, but I have a strong almoost burning desire for warmth, workday warmth.  I have been thinking about that a lot the last while, haven't I, but as the snow approaches, as the cold falls, it becomes not just a want.  It becomes a need.

There are certain yarns I want to pull out.  The big cones of Custom Woolen Mills Mulsepinner Two Ply are coming out for sure.  The Regal so I can assess that pretty pattern and the colours I have versus what the pattern needs and probably the Cascade Eco + that I have, both green and red and maybe the cream as well.  I could always make a cabled something or do something with those ever entertaining twisted stitches of Maria Earlbacher.  And I will probably take out the Mission Falls.  I bought the Mission Falls for Brian so many moons ago, but I kept it for me because it is such a lovely yarn to work with.    

To be truthfull, I would take it all out and keep it out if I could.  Wouldn't it be nice if it could all be displayed like my own yarn store right in my room?  But...and it is a big one, I know how much effort that lovely tidy yarn store look takes.  

I also want to pull out a few yarns for small things.  I made a Huj Tub a while ago with some delicious Eden and a skein ofm Shibui mohair and it is glorious.  I wore it all last winter and I wore it almost daily even through summer.  It is just the perfect thing to wear when your neckline is chilly that first bit in the morning.  I have a bunch af mohair colours and I have a bunch of Socks that Rock that could work perfectly for warm fuzzy simple to knit cowls.  I have some Noro sock yarns that would work wonderfully too.  

As much as I will pull out yarns to work with, I don't really need to go into it for any real reason.  I have all kinds of stuff out that I would happily knit with.  I can take out what I want when I am ready to work with it.  A stash dive really isn't required.  

But sometimes, just sometimes, I just want to play in the yarn.  Opening my stash boxes is like opening shipments of yarn back when I worked at the store.  That is what I am looking for today.  I am looking for the sheer joy of yarns, for the colours, for the feeling of it in my hands, for the glorious cozy, warmth and goodness of yarn.    

No comments: