Monday 19 October 2020

A little of this, a little of that

I knit a lot this last weekend, even though Sunday, I knit almost nothing.  My hand needed a break and I am now smart enough to give it one, instead of powering through.  

I knit on this delicate little popover for a while.  I envision a kind of capelike sleeved thing.


Knitting that is like knitting lace without knitting lace.  It is fluffy but so very light.  I wanted a light top layer, simple in construction and plain, letting the yarn do all the talking, and yet now that I am a bit farther along, I am wondering if this shouldn't have some lace effects as it gets longer.  It is still close enough to the start that I could plan or do an all over  lace on the front or do a lace panel that gets wider starting just after joining for at the under arms.  I have also been thinking about 'striping' like the Shakerag Top, by using two strands of yarn.  I have plenty of yarn so it is worth thinking about.

I also entertained myself by going through the WIPs and knitting on my wristwarmers.  A good day of work would finish the pair I think.
  



  
The pattern is from Cat Brodhi's Family of Fingerless Mitts ebook.  It is simple to knit and brainless to fit perfectly.  I may just keep working on these today.

But I also took myself on the journey to the edges of the Shetland Shawl.  I chose something that wouldn't be too wide.  I think it's already there.  I also want something where I won't need anymore yarn.  I have three and a half balls and deep in my lace there is one more skein of cream.  I think.  

This edging is called the Doris edging and comes from Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller.  It may or may not match the pattern pefectly, but it is lovely to look at and is kind of fun to knit.  It isn't a long repeat and has a lovely kind of regularity to it.


I am about a third of the way down side one and it feels nice to be at this point.  It is also warm to work.  The whole thing sits in your lap as you flip back and forth working off one stitch at a tme.  It is cozy and warm and I am getting really excited about wearing it.

I may be hitting the sewing machine again.  Plenty to do there and I may just play around with my knitting.  It depends if I can talk Son3 and his kids into coming for a weekend visit.  Worth a try and something to look forward to!

No comments: