Tuesday 11 August 2020

The Problem

I have a problem.  It never occurred to me that this really was going to be a problem, but it is.


I have just started the 10th row of a 20 row lace pattern and this skein of yarn is painfully thin.  I have probably used 2/3rds of it to get here, which means that I will not get even close to a single repeat out of any of the colours.  

I have 1 skein each of mooskit, eskit, and sholmit and two of Sheaela and Shtland Black.  The plan was to use 1 skien of each colour for each row of pattern for the two darkest colours and to repeat them at the end, with the softer warmer colours in the centre.  I was thinking that I would need to do a different pattern to make the centre go from dark to light to dark, but I did have a plan for that.  None of it is going to work.  Or rather, that is not going to work with the yarn I have at the moment.   

Tomorrow, I will weigh the skein after I have knit the full 10th round and will make some decisions then. Either I go with a pattern that has an easier place to colour change, or I do some fancy math and figure out exactly what I need to go forward with this lace pattern. 

I really am enjoying this little lace though.  I didn't take pictures but it is so lovely to knit.  It goes right into memory without any sturggles and it moves along so easily with strong decrease columns marking your place as you go.   Still it needs to work with my yarn quantities.   And so it goes.

I didn't get any sewing done today, but I did pull out the other newer fabrics that I purchased for shirts and tops a while ago.  


There isn't a rush for tops right now, but it was nice to see and asess what I have on hand, lest I do something foolish at the online fabric store.  I needed to see what I had on hand and what fabrics I could use for a first try with the new patterns I bought.  I was going to print out one of the patterns and put it together today but it just didn't feel right.  Not after the knitting issue.  

I did make a decision on step one.  I bought a cute pattern for a pair of overalls and I have decided which fabric I will use for a first try for them.  I also decided what to use for a first try for the lovely wide legged pants pattern.  Making those choices take so much of the tension out of it all.  

No comments: