Wednesday 12 August 2020

Cascade Superwash Sport.

I don't quite know what to start with today.  It is probably a good day to do some baking and some housecleaning.  After two weeks of hot weather, we are forecast to get up to only 18C today and that means that today, I am swathed in my usual gear.  Turtleneck shirt, long pants, warm woollen sweater and socks.  Full gear for a day of uncertain tasks.

I was putting my socks on and I realized that this would be a great time to say something i have been meaning to say about these socks.  It is pretty boss and I am suitably impressed.

  
You might remember these as my bed socks.  They have indeed been used for that, but they have become some of my favourite everyday socks too.  They are so toasty warm.  The yarn is Cascade  Superwash Sport and it is possible that it may become my favourite sock yarn ever.

Why and how does that happen?  Well, when I first made these I did wear them only for bed.  It was hard somedays to kick them off because they were so much warmer than my drawer of regular socks.  I found I had to wear slippers with regular socks to keep my toes cozy and so these slowly morphed into socks I wore all the time.  

I hated washing them though.  My standards for socks have always been that it has to withstand the washer and dryer without issue to make it in my house.  I couldn't see myself babying anything, not even now that I have a drying rack sitting firmly on the wall not 6 inches from the washer.  I did baby these for a while though.  I love warm toes that much.

And then one day I forgot and the socks were tossed on to the regular laundry and were thrown into the machine.  I was pretty worried but they came out fine and I dried them on the rack.  That went on for a while, till one day, I forgot that they were in a load of things and they went through the dryer.  

And nothing.  No problems at all.  I could believe that of commercial sock yarns but an other superwash?  I wasn't sure I believed it.  It has been months now and and many many washes and they are in excellent shape, with no excess heel wear and no shrikage at all.  

I feel pretty good about the possibility of more yarn in this line, just for socks.  And anything that needs a lot of laundering.  Maybe long johns?  Any yarn that can do a washer and dryer in my standard torture test laundry, gets my vote.

No comments: