Thursday 27 August 2020

Do not fear.

If there is one thing that I have learned through knitting beyond how to make things I enjoy wearing, it is this:  Do not fear the measurements.  

And beyond that, that if you want things to fit as you prefer them, you have to accept this.  I am not asking anyone to love their own numbers from a tape measure.  I do not particularly like mine, but Like them or not, they are what they are and I will adress them as required knowledge.  

With the excess of bravery I found after getting back on track with a lace I love on my pretty Shetland shawl and after the pleasure I took with the knitting dots of Drachenfels, I have faced today's fears.   

Today my task is to get pair one of the leggings cut out and I confess that I am a tiny bit afraid of this.   There is such finality to cutting.  Once you do, there is not going back and the only way to adress it is to buy more fabric.  It isn't like knitting, which is almost endlessly forgiving.  I refer you to the many torutured posts about Shetland laces and ripping all the knitting over and over again.

Cutting you get one chance.  I mean to make it a decent one, so the plan is to measure the heck out of my nether regoins horizontally and vertically, and trust that with good notes I can adapt the pattern at least as well as I do in knitting.  I am not going for perfection here, just wearability for around home.  


I am going to have a third cup of coffee though.  That is just for bravery.  Gotta have a little something to calm my nerves.  I do not fear the measuring.  Not at all.  Just the cutting.  Cross your fingers.  Wish me luck.  Here I go.

No comments: