Tuesday 26 May 2020

Dithering

I spent the entire morning dithering about the pattern I would follow for Amy's sweater.  I wanted simple because that is her style.  I wanted flowing because that is her style. But I also wanted that lovely lace detail from Tabouli.  

I couldn't find what I wanted so...

I am winging it.  Because that is the way I roll.  I bought the pattern because the lace inspires everything here and Carol Feller deserves compensation for her work.  I am starting with a simplfied version of her shoulder saddles too, one that I understand the construction of and that I know I can adapt to get the garment I want.  The pattern has a lovely way of fitting the lace into the neckline that I am not going to worry about.  I have opted for a more regular saddle and will have a narrow edging attached as a buttonband. 

The saddle was a great place to start.  It gave me the perfect little gauge swatch to work at the same time as actually accomplishing work on the sweater. 


The lace is worked on every row, but though it sounds intimidating, it isn't.  You do pretty much the same thing on every row.  It really looks odd in it's unopened as knit form but


once it is blocked, it is going to look fantastic.  The other thing to note from these two pieces is that it is a sample of the first two balls and why you always always should alernate knitting from two balls with a hand dyed yarn.  The skeins started out looking exactly the same off the ball winder but there is the smallest bit more white in one than the other.  If you worked only from one ball at a time, you would end up with the darker skein showing a big difference in the depth of colour.  It is fine for these two small saddles, but the rest of the sweater gets the two ball treatment.


So today, I will hope to establish the back of the sweater because I just want to keep knitting this interesting little lace.  The back is going to stay fairly fitted and will have Tabouli's lace design flare to shape the lower back rather than just move apart.

I have no idea what the front will look like just yet.  A little more like Lipstick   I suspect.  Perhaps one section of lace?  Or Maybe like Guidrid?  With Tabouli's lace of course.  Not quite sure.  That will help keep me on my toes!

For the rest of the day, I have stuff I have to do.  I have taxes to file, deadline extended to June 1, and I have to deep clean my laundry area. Time to get to defuzz the vents!  Not my favourite task, but a good pairing for a day when I am doing taxes.  Do the yucky jobs together and get them out of the way? 

I would rather be knitting. And dithering. 

No comments: