Monday 30 March 2020

Blue Knitting and Quarantine stuff.

I am not sure how to explain it.  I stuck with the blue top. It seems I have grown up to an age where completion counts.  Bahaha.


I am pretty happy that I stayed working on the lace.  Without that lace, it would be very hard to get through it all.  I am not able to do as much on it as I did at first in  a day.  The cotton, while not being 'hard' on my hands, is heavy and my wrists, even with the puddle of fabric sitting in my lap, are limiting how much I can do.

I do want to finish this in the worst way.  It would just be so great to have this done.  If I do, that means I will have 4 summer tops to wear and that means half of the time, I can wear things I have done myself.  4 tops does include the green top I am currently working on too.

That green knitting is how I am ending my day.  It is light and straight back and forth with no complications.  I just can't tell if It will fit.  I have done the numbers repeatedly, but I am not at all comfortable trusting the numbers.  Not at all.

**The landlord went out to get groceries yesterday and we managed well enough.  We found almost everything we wanted, though they did not have big bags of flour.  They had lots of the mid size, so no problem.  He did have to go to three different stores to get everything though, so there still are some short items out in our local market place.  The big store staff told him that they have been seeing a lot of strangers early in the mornings. Word is (word is gossip of course) that city people are coming out here to buy up kleenex and toilet paper. Not that we country folk would feel the urge to buy up everything we can, mind.  We locals are above that.  (Of course we are not.)

Right from the start, Keith and I talked about a grocery strategy.  We felt that over stocking just makes it harder for people who can't afford to keep a lot on hand. Stocking up, keeping lots on hand is very much a  game comfortably off people play.  Good value in groceries are available if you have the money to buy in quantity.  Many, many don't.

Our strategy is to stick with one big monthly purchase and as few other trips as possible.  We are trying to make sure we have enough basic produce, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage, and apples to get us through at least 2 weeks so that his forays out remain low.  Spinach, lettuce, and a lot of fresh stuff, just doesn't last, so beyond immediate use after a trip, it is a no go zone.  We are meal planning a bit more.

Beyond that, the only thing we did different than our normal, is that we have a bit more flour on hand than usual because we will make our own bread and  we made an allowance this grocery trip for supplies to make sweet treats that you could make without an oven.  Nothing will make you crave a thing more than being unable to have it in any way, shape or form and we were both craving cookies.  We are set now.  Favourite unbaked cookies coming up. (No we don't buy cookies, except for the landlord's rare forays into a fruit cream cookies and my deep and abiding love for brownie cookies)

I am going to try quick breads in the bread maker this week.  I have never tried that and you know what?  My machine has a setting for them.  It also has a setting to just bake.  And a complete setting called 'Jam'.  Who knew? (My current bread maker is 10 years old, at least)

I might be bored with blue knitting, but I seem to be determined to find adventure somewhere.  It seems I will have kitchen adventures instead.

And that is my make it through your quarantine tip for today.  Find an adventure somewhere. Most people figure that you have to get out and go somewhere unusual to have an adventure but it is not at all true.  Adventure happens in your own head.  Look at what is at hand and have some fun with it.


 
**the quarantine stuff is really just to keep track of something that is going to stick in the memories of my grandkids for all of their lives.  This is what grandma did that was different in this strange time.  

No comments: