Monday 16 March 2020

Accomplished.

And there we go.  I am the very proud owner of a very pretty, very pleasing new top. 



With two sleeves no less.  It is the brilliant shade of yellow that I dearly love, and which one of my  boys said makes me look like a bumblebee because of my wearing it with black as I like to.  I will think of me as a somewhat faded dandelion once I wash it.  The yarn colour softens to a very pretty lemon yellow.  But everything about this one makes me happy.

I am even more proud to say that I am now the owner of a slightly renovated top.


In a lot of ways, going back to add sleeve length to these cap sleeves is a much bigger deal than finishing the other top.  It is easy to finish a thing with a bit of gumption.  It is much harder to go back and make a thing better when it has been worn and washed and worn and lives most decidedly in your clothing pile, not your pretty new stuff pile. 

It did give me a chance to work with Remix Light again.  Gosh how I love to work with this yarn.  It is even better than working with its worsted weight counter part.  Just a seriously great yarn.

These things took me till noon.  And then.  And then.  

And then I sat down to work on my blue top and the recalcitrant lace at the underarms.  Sigh.  I knit and ripped back.  I knit and ripped back again.  And again.  And again.  4 times, I worked and reworked and still was doing some small thing wrong.  I put it down and debated giving up on the lace and simply knitting plain and finishing the darn top.

But I did not want to cry uncle.  I knit this lace before and I don't recall have any really deep trouble with it.  Maybe I needed to get familiar with the lace, as it was written again.  Maybe, by understanding the charts as written, by knitting them, I will find as Annie Modesitt said, in the lace class I took with her back when I was a very very new knitter, that one small thing that is in every lace pattern.  Maybe that one small thing will help me through to knitting it properly, so that when I change everything and knit top down, instead of bottom up, and hide all my increases in the lace as well, that I will magically know what the heck to do. So I sat down and knit through the pattern as given in the charts. 


It did!  It is a very simple lace.  Once I knew it, I could sort out just what I had to do to increase in this directional lace rather than decreasing as the pattern does.  It took almost no time at all to figure it out and to convert the lace in my head.

So, in what may be my proudest accomplishment of the weekend, I went back to the blue, and I knit this.


I can very happily say that I am now moving forward.  I have worked through all the yarn that was knit and reknit, and I am now in new yarn.  No small feat.

I rewarded myself by starting something new.  But more on that tomorrow.

I just want to note that today the entirety of this pandemic we are in has hit even my small town.  The government closed the schools with no opening date in site.  It may be that we won't see school again till fall.  We had Chinese food from our local diner and there was no one in the restaurant, though the owner said they had been very busy with take out.  We have no cases here, but it is a very real issue in small towns where the vast majority of us are seniors, or like me, almost (not yet 65). 

I am prepared.  I have yarn.  I have fibre.  I have all the tools I need.  And I have coffee.  All good.

No comments: