Friday 18 October 2019

Sleeve Island

Yesterday morning,  I was up and dressed well before 7.  By 8 I had sweaters on the drying rack and two loads of laundry done.  By 9 I had baked muffins, made my next batch of candied ginger for tea, done dishes and had reorganized my tea cupboard.  I did a healthy days work in just a couple of hours.  

Today not so much.  First off, there isn't a lot of the day to day stuff to do, and secondly, I slept in.  I hate sleeping in. It feels like half the day us gone and I haven't even got a dream to show for it.  

I am looking forward to today, though.  Today is sleeve island day. 



I am just about to start the colourwork for this sleeve.  It such a few stitches, that I don't feel it will take very long.  Then it's  a section of green and the sleeve band and done.  In my dreams both sleeves are done by days end.  In my dreams.

Beyond that, I wanted to mention what I usually do to short sleeves to make them fit better.  

When you are a large person, as I am, your arms are a bit padded out if you compare to an average size person.  You have more arm inches from the top of your shoulder to your end of sleeve than average. On a long sleeve, you don't  usually notice it, but a short sleeve can look very odd without compensating for it. Mind you, even on a long sleeve, it simply sits better if I count for it.  

My solution, or adaptation is to do short rows as soon as I can after starting the sleeve.  

On this sweater, with its  pattern band, it's  going to be a little trickier than usual.  I have added one short row in the green joining section so far, and I am debating where I can slip in another one or two without making the colour too wide and noticeable against the matching pattern rows on the front and back of the sweater body.  

The plan is too add one more black row before the colourwork, and then do the pattern a few rows and see if it looks okay.  If I have to, the extra short rows will be in that last green section of the sleeve, but I prefer to put them in, right where they are needed and best hidden, at the armscye.  

Keep your fingers crossed.  Let's  see how this goes.  

No comments: