Monday 28 October 2019

And now for something completely different

and completely the same!

I ended up working on the sleeves of my coat and got it to the end of the green sleeve island.  Just a few inches with the grey but that can happen when it happens.  I wanted to start working on the body of the sweater again.

Before I did that, I made time to try it on to double-check that I was getting things right.  Math is one thing but math can lie.  I wanted to see and feel it for myself.  All is well.  All is more than well, and that little bit of future success made knitting all the more interesting.

I kept knitting until I got to the place on the back of the sweater, where I wanted to do a line of increases.  I wanted to knit the back of this sweater like the back of Argo, where there is a row of increases forming the smallest bit of a gathered ripple across the back.  It allows me, with so many stitches to add between waist and hip, to have a garment that is not just an a-line but rather more of a straight side. 

On Argo, that increase line is the point where you move from garter stitch to stockinette, so the larger than usual number of increases are hidden in the change.  I wanted to do a welt trim to help hide them here.

Knitting the welt is kind of interesting.  There are all kinds of great videos on the net for this simple technique, so I won't go over that here.  I will merely show you my result in this rather beefy heavy wool. 





I am rather pleased with that bit of a ridge.  The increases will happen on the next round and should tuck in nicely under that bit of a visual bump. 

I do have a bit of a quandary about colour blocking.  Should I do the colour blocking as it is on my Argo, with the change happening right about this point on the garment, or should I just go with the grey at the bottom like my original plan?  So many choices.

It is just a little bit cool though.  The welt is neat, to use that very 1950's phrase.  A different technique for me, but still knitting.  It is good.

No comments: