Monday 8 July 2019

Very Interesting!

I think I sorted out the lace issue I was having on the blue top.  I'm not sure I like what its giving me yet, but lace is happening.  I'm going to let that percolate a bit before I decide if I keep it or if it gets further modified.

In other knitting, it was an interesting weekend.  A very interesting weekend.  A so interesting that I could hardly put it down sort of interesting.


I started working on my version of Threipmuir by Ysolda Teague.  I meant only to swatch for it but once I opened up the bag the yarn was in, I found my usual small swatch, washed and blocked, and needles.  I was ready to go, so I cast on and I could not help myself.  I do love colourwork.

I have to say that when I picked up the yarn last summer in New Brunswick, I instantly saw the colourwork possibilities as the yarn sat on the shelf.  The blue and seafoam sat beside each other and the gold was right above and they just worked so well together.  They called to me and I had to have them.  I usually know what I will make with a yarn when I see it together, but not this.   This yarn mix was coming home with me and that was that.

I started looking for sweaters that night in my hotel, but I couldn't see anything that screamed at me right away.  I searched when I got home and it took rather a long time before I decided.  Oddly enough, most of the patterns I had marked as favourites were either two colours, fine gradations of many colours, or had bands of one of the two contrast colours used a little too prominently.  The last was really only a problem because  the gold and the teal are not really great colours with my skin tones.  

Colour isn't usually too much of an issue, because if I want to wear a colour that isn't quite right for me, I will use it with a balance of black or white close to my face and the colour I want but don't show off well, slightly away from my skin.  Threipmuir was one of a very few designs with only three colours, where the main colour made a feature element at the right place in the yoke, mitigating the the power of my gold and teal.   

That my colours are so like Ysolda's is just coincidence.   It may have played part in why I felt so strongly that they would work together, but it certainly wasn't conscious.  It was a bit of a surprise when I saw Threipmuir while searching for just the right thing.  Even once I realized the colours were a close match, it took me a very long time to decide to go ahead with it.  I wasn't planning a Threipmuir.  It wasn't on my radar.

No matter.  What does matter is that I will have a truly lovely sweater when all is said and done and and that knitting it was enjoyable.  And so far, oh my yes.  It was.  

No comments: